Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

The end of an era is here - ok, not really, but the Cubs did just made their first cut of the spring.  Tonight's victim is... drumroll please....


...Aaron Cunningham.  We have no further details as to why he's been let go after six Cactus League appearances, although it really isn't necessary. The Cubs are almost overrun with low risk-high reward/scrap heap outfielders.  Plus, they have some actual outfield prospects (Matt Szczur, Jae-Hoon Ha, Josh Vitters etc.) who will play regularly in the minors and aren't too far away from joining the parent club. In short, the former top-prospect for the White Sox, A's and Indians simply did not have a spot in the Cubs organization.

It looks like I was right in putting him near the bottom in my Non-Roster Invitee post yesterday, where I ranked the likelihood of which NRI's (of whom I have cards) will make the big league club in 2014.  That said, I had him second-to-last to Casper Wells. Oh well, no one is perfect.

Thus, this fairly run-of-the-mill Bowman Heritage piece will not be making my Cubs All-Time Roster binder.  Hopefully, Cunningham and his socks get scooped up by another club and he can work his way back to the bigs.

Goodbye Aaron; we hardly knew ye!

Two posts in one night?  I'm on a roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment