Friday, March 14, 2014

Pandora Doesn't Go Back in the Box

I went into my LCS looking for some new 9-pocket binder pages (man, these things are never around when I need them) and I left with a box of 800 baseball cards.  Yea, you read that right, 800.  I fell victim to the impulse buy.  It's almost like Pandora's box, I can't help but want to open one.


The shop sells these cardboard containers filled with common cards from the last 35 years for just $5.  Seeing as most of the cards I'm searching for are for players that aren't important enough to be separated out, it's a tempting offer indeed.  I figured, "I have nothing better to do with my night, why not take a flier? This may be my lucky box." 

Well, it wasn't.  Now I have piles of 1990 Donruss and 1989 Bowman over-flowing onto my table; Pandora doesn't go back in the box!

After I burned most of those cards (by that, I mean tossed aside), I found plenty of Cubs wax and cardboard; but, alas, no new players.

an assortment of my somewhat disappointing pulls

But, it wasn't a total waste of money, there were a few cards that brought a smile to my face.  So, in the name of blogging, let's take a look at these specimens:

  
Ooooooo, shiny!  Who doesn't like a nicely done chrome card?  Now, the subject might be one of the most hated Cubs of the last 20 years, but a Cub is a Cub (yes, even Todd Hundley).  Plus, it's a prospect card and I have a secret love of cards that features big-leaguers during their minor league and prospect days.


From most hated to most loved, we have Derrek Lee.  As a member of the division-winning teams of 2007 and 2008, an NL batting champ in 2005, 2-time gold glover and 2-time all-star, D-Lee will forever be remembered as a Cub favorite. 

This nice selection from the 2007 Allen & Ginter set, before the idea was played out, is simple and well-done.  Is Derrek wistfully daydreaming about the playoff run to come, before it became a nightmare?


Here we have another 2008 Cub, Jimmy Ballgame himself.  Like most Cub fans, I despised him when he played for the Cardinals and was unhappy when the Cub picked the seemingly washed up outfielder off the scrapheap. 

But, he was phenomenal for the team and provided some of my favorite moments.  I'll never forget the dramatic home run he hit in St. Louis, almost a big "eff you" for giving up on him, or his two home runs in 1 inning against the White Sox.  All while I was hiding at work and listening to the radio broadcasts. 

This Topps piece is not particularly notable, but I love the expression on his face.  If this card could talk, it would say "ARGHHHHH!!!" 

 
Lastly, we have another former Cardinal, John Mabry.  His time in blue was short, but still not short enough.  For the dreaded 2006 Cubs, he hit .205 in 105 games with a paltry .283 OBP as one of the poor excuses for a first basemen that the Cubs employed after D-Lee went down. 

But, for many years he was a useful bat of the bench and I like that this card chronicles one of the good times in his career.  The moment: when he hit for the cycle on May 18, 1996 against the Rockies.  Remember the good times, folks!

Good Times - Edie Brickell

So, I guess the re-pack box wasn't a total loss.  But, that said, I wouldn't mind having my $5 back.  *Sigh*....

4 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but my lasting memory of John Mabry with the Cubs is his scrap with Brian Anderson during the Pierzynski-Barrett brawl in 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea; didn't Brian take him down pretty easily too, embarrassingly so? That was probably the most exciting day of the season, seeing as the product on the field was so awful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Edmonds won me over pretty quickly. I can't believe Edie Brickell and Paul Simon are approaching their 22nd wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time flies doesn't it? Talk about a musical power couple though; good to see that not all celebrity weddings are shams.

    ReplyDelete