Saturday, January 30, 2021

Out of Left Field

 

Well, I sure didn't see that coming.


Yesterday morning, the Cubs actually made a move that actively improved the roster, inking slugging outfielder, Joc Pederson, to a one-year, $7 million deal.  The longtime Dodger and World Series hero had not been previously connected to Chicago in any rumor mill rumblings and, of course, the team seemed to spend most of the winter tearing down their roster rather than reinforcing it.  Thus, I guess it's appropriate that the six-year veteran was brought in to be an (more or less) every day corner outfielder, seeing as this acquisition came from WAY out of leftfield.  Honestly, did anyone see this coming?


My tone might come across as ungrateful, but I'm just a bit blindsided.  This is a great move to round out the offense, as Pederson fills the same role that Kyle Schwarber had for year priors but also brings much better defense and comes with a price tag a few million dollars cheaper.  So, I guess you could call this a great compromise move for the penny-pinching ownership and the front office who's still trying to field a competitive club in a supremely weak division.




Correspondingly, once I read about the news, I quickly made a financial transaction of my own.  As soon as I could secure some spare time, I ran out to my local card shop and picked up a Joc Pederson card for my Cubs All-Time Roster Collection.  I guess you could say that I was enthused about the team finally signing a position player to a contract worth more than Daniel Descalso and did so with a guy who carried the 2020 World Series Champions on his back throughout the postseason.  Can you blame me?


I settled on the 2019 Topps Series One single that you see above for my most treasured tome, at least, for the time being.  It's not a particularly exciting piece on it's own, however the prominence of red and blue in it's design help it blend into a Cubs-centric collection a little more smoothly.  Joc will certainly show up in a Cubs uniform in at least one 2021 baseball card product, but this pasteboard can keep his spot warm in the interim.  That future card will definitely feature a different number on his uniform though, as good ol' 31 is retired twice over in Wrigleyville.



An artists rendering of Joc having traded his Dodger Blue for the Cubbie shade. Image courtesy of Clutchpoints.


Moreover, with reports coming out that the Ricketts have recently expanded the budget for on-field talent, Joc might not be the only name added to my CATRC prior to Spring Training.  There's rumors that the team is interested in Kolten Wong for their second base opening; adding him to the lineup would go a long way towards rounding out the offense.  Furthermore, the Cubs have been directly connected to several reclamation pitchers, i.e. Carlos Rodon, Chris Archer, and Mike Foltynewicz, with intent to stock their rotation.  They're scouts have also attended the workouts of old friends Jeff Samardzija and Jake Arrieta; of course, if the Cubs should choose to reunite, a matching CATRC move will not be necessary.





With the addition of Joc to the starting lineup and those potential follow-up moves on the horizon, I can now cross my eyes, squint and see a team with playoff potential.  They're still a bit wishy-washy, but at least they're not planning to start Phillip Ervin anymore.... no offense, Phil!  Plus, they'd actually have to ink Wong and at least two of those rehabbing pitchers with pedigrees for me to actually buy in.  We shall see what develops over the next few days.  However, after weeks of jettisoning Major League talent, it was refreshing to see some come through door instead.

  

...then the Cardinals traded for Nolan Arenado and all those good feelings instantly evaporated.  That's life as a Cubs fan.


Welcome to the original Second City and to my CATRC, Joc Pederson!





3 comments:

  1. My two favorite non-Cubs over the past decade have probably been Goldschmidt and Arenado. I can't even root for them anymore. The Cardinals ruin everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see he signed with them. Nice to see the Cubs actually take on salary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel bad for Rockies fans. I wonder if Story is next.

    ReplyDelete