Wednesday, June 6, 2018

The Best of the Best - Everything's Jake




Last night, was one of my best friend's birthday celebration and, because he's a rabid, crazy Cubs fan like I am, we and our significant others spent the night at Wrigley Field, in his honor.  Although the weather was unusually cool for a June evening (heck, there were hot chocolate vendors in the stands) and the Cubs were twisted into knots by opposing starter, Zac Eflin, it was a positively pleasant double date.  My wife was especially thrilled, as the native east-coaster grew up just outside of Philadelphia and she got to see her hometown Phillies lay a beat down upon Kyle Hendricks and crew.  At least one of us four was happy with the result of the contest!

Of course, with the Phillies being in town, that meant that former Chicago ace and "Cub for life," Jake Arrieta, was back for his first visit to the Friendly Confines since leaving town as a free agent this past off-season.  With that in mind, the park was abuzz with anticipation, as fans and players alike were excited to see an old friend again - I suppose two no-hitters, a Wild Card complete game shutout, a mindbogglingly great 2015 season, and a World Series title will build that sort of attachment!

As has become something of a tradition since the giant, new video board went up in left field a couple of years ago, the Cubs media crew paid tribute to a franchise favorite with a video montage on the big screen, in between halves of the first inning:






The man of the hour himself stood just outside of the visiting dugout, taking in the scene and spectacle.  Once the minute-long montage came to a conclusion, the crowd erupted into thunderous applause as Jake stepped out into full view, tipping his weird, red cap to every corner of Wrigley Field in a show of gratitude.  It was really quite the scene.

This was a good time to be sitting in the best seats that I've ever had at a Cubs game, as our party was just about ten rows back of the visitors.  Thus, we got a perfectly centered view of the video board and were close enough to Arrieta that we could see his face holding back the flow of emotion:




Thankfully, my wife was able to snap some pictures to commemorate the touching moment - she's always quick and dependable with the lens.  Of course, the rest of the contest was nothing to remember, as the Phightin' Phils beat up on the home team by a score of 6-1, this quick little ceremony made the entire night worthy of recollection and a perfect birthday festivity.

In fact, as I was herded into a crowded Red Line car after the game had ended, I felt inspired to draft a tribute of my own to the 2016 World Series Champion.  It was there, wedged between the wall of the train car and my loving wife, that I began to mentally draft the list of my favorite Jake Arrieta baseball cards as one does when one is a pasteboard blogger wanting to commemorate a favorite player.

Jake has had some good ones over the years, so it was kind of tough to narrow the list down.  Case in point, I originally intended to bang out a quick five-card bulletin, but found it far too difficult to leave so many cards on the outside looking in.  Even still, the wonderful Diamond Kings mini which leads off this post just missed cracking the countdown.  In short, there's a lot of nice cards to cover - so, without any further ado, let's take a look at the ten best cards in my collection of one of the premier Cubs hurlers of all-time:





#10 - 2010 Topps Update #US251


We start with where it all began. with his very first Major League card - I have Jake's 2010 rookie single coming in at number ten. Look how bizarre baby-faced Jake looks in Orioles colors!

I may not chase particularly hard after big time cards, but it's hard not to have some sort of attachment to rookie card of a favorite player, even if he is sporting the wrong jersey.





#9 - 2014 Topps Cubs Factory Team Set #CHC-??


From his first Major League card to his first Cubs card - this factory team set single represents Jake Arrieta's very first, official card in Cubbie blue, beating his Series 2 single to the shelves by a few months in 2014.  It was this card that motivated me to buy the whole nine dollar set from, in a bizarre twist of fate, Citizens Banks Ballpark in Philadelphia.  My wife and I took in a Cubs v. Phillies tilt that summer as part of a larger vacation.   Funny how that worked out, huh?

Who knew what he would go on to accomplish as a Cub after this printing?  Who knew that he would eventually go on to play for the same city I bought this card in?




#8 - 2017 Topps Series 1 #270


The only parallel to make the cut, the gold version of Jake's League Leaders card from last year makes the cut at number eight.

While not as historically dominant as he was in 2015, Jake's 2016 season was nothing to sneeze at. His 18 wins tied him for third best in the National League, earning him a spot in the League Leaders subset.  I love cards that commemorate specific events or achievements (more on that later), making it a shoe-in for inclusion on this countdown.  I opted for the gold parallel over the base, as the shininess adds some flare to the overall lackluster design of 2017 Flagship.




#7 (tie) - 2016 Topps Bunt #200 and 2017 Topps Bunt #119


Much like I am lamenting the end of Jake Arrieta's stellar Chicago Cubs career, allow me to take a moment to mourn the loss of the physical Topps Bunt set.  

This low-end collectors' product had the potential to be the entry-level, no-frills set that we collectors have clamored for throughout the year.  As cheap as Opening Day, but with original and interesting designs, fun and creative inserts, and emphasizing collecting the base set over the chasing of hits, Bunt was a product filled with so much potential.  However, like Jake re-upping with the Cubs, the return of Bunt just wasn't in the cards for 2018.  That's a shame because just look at these bad boys - the 2016 set was especially easy on the eyes!




#6 - 2007 TRISTAR Prospects Plus #96


Here we have another early Jake Arrieta issue, this one a pre-rookie, minor league release which actually showcases him in his collegiate uniform.

Since I first began collecting cards in the mid-90's, I've always had a special affinity for minor league cards of Major League stars.  In fact, to this day, I still have an entire binder filled with such cards for future Cubs; collegiate and high school cards are even more fascinating to me.  Simply put, I'm drawn to cards which show Major Leaguers back when they were just another face in the crowd.  Therefore, it should come as no surprise that a pre-rook Arrieta should hop into this list, like a TCU Horned Frog.




#5 - 2017 Topps 1987 30th Anniversary #87-49


Okay, so let's just address the elephant in the room here - Topps has overdone the 1987 nostalgia over the last few years... so much so that we collectors have started to roll our eyes every time the familiar, wood grain borders are trotted out.  Nevertheless, as a collector who got his start with grab bags stuffed full of discounted junk wax singles, this set is a key part of my childhood.   With that being known, it's hard for me to pass up a card of one of my all-time favorite athletes on one of my favorite card designs.  I'm simple like that.

On the other hand, the curious decision to lop of Jake's powerful pitching arm above the elbow keeps this insert from ranking much closer to the top.  Zoom out!!




#4 - 2017 Topps National Baseball Card Day #CC-2


Pairing one of the top moundsmen in the game today with the best holiday on the calendar - that's a match made in heaven!  

I've not been so fortunate as to pull a Cub since the holiday was rebooted by Topps in 2016; however, thankfully I have great buddies like Nick, of Dime Boxes fame, ready to step in and play the hero.  Even cooler, this card wasn't even available in the free packs given away by stores last summer... one had to attend the home game on August to obtain Jake the Snake and a few other supplementary pieces.  SGA sets are the bee's knees.




 #3 - 2016 Topps World Series Champions Box Set #WS-4


Remember how I said I enjoy cards the commemorate specific moments?  I present to you exhibit #2, which checks in at number three on this list.

Sometimes I still wake up in the morning and think to myself, "gosh, I cannot believe the Cubs actually won the World Series!"  It may have been more than a year and half ago, but after generations of futility and gnashing of teeth, it's still hard to believe that the Lovable Losers finally got over the hump.  Thus, these special World Series cards (and any '16 WS associated cards) were a quick buy for me.  Now I have physical proof that it actually happened and that Jake Arrieta nearly tossed a third no-hitter in the process!




#2 - 2011-Now Sports Illustrated for Kids  #536


One of the first baseball card trades that I ever consummated was for an SI for Kids oddball and, ever since, I've made a point of tracking down all the Cubs who've appeared in this long-running series of perforated panels.  Although, there haven't been all that many over the years.

Of course, after the Cubs broke the 108-year streak, that changed quite quickly, with Kris Bryant and Jake Arrieta appearing in consecutive issues of the periodical.  I was just as excited when I opened the pages of that magazine and saw Jake staring back at me as I was when I traded my 1990 Score Bo Jackson for Gracie's 1995 SI for Kids entry.  Oddballs are always a draw for me.

And now it's all come down to this - we've covered spots ten through two, which Jake Arrieta card ranks as number one in my collection?  Drum roll please:




.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



 .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



Guess I overplayed that gag - sorry about that, Mr. Griswold!  Anyway, my favorite Jake Arrieta card is the following:




#1 - 2016 Topps Now #30


This particular card has popped up on Wrigley Roster Jenga several times now, so longtime readers of the blog might not be surprised to see it resting on top of the pile.  Clearly I wasn't kidding when I said that I adore cards that commemorate specific events or achievements.

The thrill of watching of a seemingly superhuman Jake twirl his second no-hitter in a span of just months was one of the greatest things I've experienced while watching television.  Though his historic run of dominance was nearly over when this occurred, I've come to look at this card as symbolic representation of peak Jake Arrieta.  For a while, he was truly the greatest pitcher to ever don the Cubs uniform, perhaps one of the best in our game's vast history and I feel privileged to have seen him at his peak.  All told, this was the very first Now card I felt compelled to acquire and there has only been one further Now addition to my collection - that should say something about important it is to me.

So, there you have it - a comprehensive list of the best Jake Arrieta cards in my collection and my tribute to one of the team's all-time greats.  Although he will never look right in red or maroon, here's hoping that he continues to have success in Philadelphia; so far, it looks like 2018 has been treating him rather well.  I'll be rooting for him and the rest of his team, seeing as the Phils are my better half's favorite team.  Happy wife = happy life and all that jazz.

That is, as long as they aren't playing the Cubs.  Thanks for the memories, Jake - we'll always have Chicago.






2 comments:

  1. I always thought that the Pirates approach against Jake was terrible. That 2015 Wild card game was the most frustrating game I remember watching. 1st pitch strikes down broadway and we are just watching them go by then swinging and junky dirt pitches.

    ReplyDelete