Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I Just Don't Understand

There are plenty of things in this world that I don't understand.  For instance, what is the meaning of life?  Who really killed John F. Kennedy?  What happened to Jimmy Hoffa?  What is the solution to peace in the middle east?  Who is Banksy, really?  If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?  What do Tigers dream of, when they take a little tiger snooze?  These are questions that truly baffle the mind.

However, this is a trading card blog, not a conspiracy theory or philosophy forum; thus, this is not the space for me to work through these conundrums.  That said, there is one specific, cardboard-related issue that recently came to the forefront of my mind that I simply do not comprehend... not in the slightest.  It's a situation that I'm sure you fellow collectors have encountered, as well, as it appears to be a fairly common one in today's hobby market.

Please, allow me to explain:




As you might recall, yesterday, I wrote about my first experience with the 2018 edition of Topps Series II.  While I was nonplussed, there were still a handful of cards that I desired from the checklist, including the Yu Darvish single that you see above.  This pasteboard represents the erstwhile ace's first traditional card in Cubbie Blue and thus a dire need for my Cubs All-Time Roster Collection.  Unfortunately, Yu did not fall out of the 72-card hanger box that I blogged about; however, it has thankfully made it into my grubby hands.

Quite the quick turnaround, eh?

Shortly after hitting post on yesterday's thoughts, I took an impromptu trip to my local card shop - Baseball Dreams and Memories.  While on my way home from work, I suddenly felt the urge to swing by, flip through some cardboard, and see if the owner had priced any singles from Series II yet.  Maybe the cards I was chasing would be right out in the open for me?

Not so.  At least, not initially.




Although, I wasn't too disappointed with the lack of Series II displayed, seeing as I was able to spot a pair of young Chicago hotshots for a couple of my other Windy City team-based roster collections.  Both DeBrincat and Cohen were surprising, breakout contributors to the Blackhawks and Bears (respectively) last season and were thus hot targets in the Chi-Town hobby scene.  However, patience is a virtue and waiting until the off-season allowed me to bring these rooks home for much more reasonable prices.

Here's hoping they can avoid the sophomore slump!




I was also able to dig another pair of Bears out of a plastic bin for my Monsters of the Midway All-Time Roster Collection.  Eddie Jackson emerged at safety in 2017, showing the potential to become a key member of the defense for years to come.  Meanwhile, Allen Robinson was signed during this off-season to hopefully provide a steady target for quarterback, Mitch Trubisky.  The Bears have had a whale of a time finding wide receivers over the last several years.




Then, just for good measure, I decided to grab this 2017 Heritage single out of a box of miscellaneous Cubs as I made my way up to the cash register.  What can I say?  Those pearly whites just drew me in.  This happy, retro card will happily represent Q in my CATRC binder - I like i much better than any of his 2018 cards that I have.

And that is where my shopping came to an end.... or at least that's where I thought it was going to end.

When I met the owner at the check out, I randomly and impulsively slipped out of my socially awkward shell and asked about his Series II stock.  Maybe he had busted a box and simply hadn't put the loot out on the shelves just yet?  Normally my debilitating shyness keeps me from any sort of inquiries.  But, something in the back of my mind told me I needed to get over it and just ask.

And it's a darn good thing that I did.




As it turns out, the shopkeeper hadn't yet busted a box of the newest product to hit the market; however, one of his customers had done so in-store.  Furthermore, that same customer busted his box, took the hits, and left EVERYTHING else behind.  I'm not just talking about the base cards either, but the inserts and parallels as well.... just as if they were crumpled wrappers, good for nothing but landfill stuffing.  This absolutely boggles my mind.

First of all, maybe this is my inner cheapskate talking, but why wouldn't you just take what you've already paid for instead of immediately discarding it?  Talk about a waste of hard-earned dinero!  I can't imagine being willing to drop over fifty bucks on a box, in the hopes of landing an Ohtani hit (or whatever), and immediately casting aside 99% of the purchase.  In my eye, you might as well just light those bills on fire.

His (or her's) frivolity was my benefit though, seeing as the above single represents the first true Cubs card of Dillon Maples to make it into my collection;  the Kane County Cougars single from Pro Debut, which had previously occupied his spot in my CATRC, will be kicked back to my minor league binder.




Furthermore, I just don't understand this mindset of "collecting."  Clearly, this mystery customer was only after the expensive and shiny hits of the hobby - like I said, they even left the inserts behind.  Simply chasing the latest and the greatest, only the high-end... where's the fun in that?   That sounds like and expensive, boring, and almost always disappointing way to collect something as fun and interesting as baseball cards.

This person clearly would not feel the joy that I did when I found Drew Smyly in a Cubs uniform.  Although he is still on the shelf, recovering from Tommy John Surgery, his rehab appears to be progressively rapidly and me might just see him take the field in 2018.  At any rate, his two-year deal basically guarantees that he'll receive an audition at some point, so this was a definite need for my CATRC.  As an added benefit, now I don't have to chase down Drew's 2018 Heritage Cubs debut, a dreaded short print.

Nope, this person just took their hit and ran... leaving the remnants behind for someone else to deal with.  As I was flipping through the abandoned loot, I assisted the shop owner with pulling out the Cubs and White Sox cards for pricing.  As a thank you,  he allowed me to add the Darvish, Maples, and Smyly to my purchase pile for pennies on the dollar.  I must admit, that left me feeling pretty "smyly" myself.

Has anyone else here on the blogosphere encountered this type of "just the hits, ma'am" collector?  How do you feel about this method of collecting.  If you are one of those who happens to collect this way, how do you keep the hobby from getting stale in your eyes?  I don't mean to judge, I'm just trying to understand.

Also, if someone could explain the concept of dark matter and the enduring popularity of Fortnite    those are a couple of other things that I just do not get.





10 comments:

  1. I first encountered evidence of such creatures in the late 90s, I think. And I never actually saw one, always arriving at the LCS in the wake of their endeavors. I don't get it either. But you shouldn't think of these creatures as "collectors". They are "prospectors". They are digging for gold and anything else, to them, is just a rock with no value. I do think some do enjoy the feeling of "ripping wax"--which is certainly a large allure for collectors, as well. But, having never met one in person, its sort of like speculating on what Big Foot thinks about modern life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hit seekers are the single reason that I deleted my blog's Twitter account less than six months after I started it. They seem to be everywhere on there, and while I'm a firm believer in "to each their own" I am like you in the sense that I just plain don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope those dreaded hit-mongers enjoy their $2 jersey cards while leaving behind all the stuff we COLLECTORS actually need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I have encountered this phenomenon at my shop not once, but twice! That's saying something, given that I maybe go in three times a year now. One time it was a box of Bowman (2016? 2017?) and the guy just let me have all the Astros dupes he pulled. He kept his autos and the numbered parallels and I think the Astros - maybe whoever the hot rookie was too - and handed the rest of the box back to the dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in my LCS in P-town when guys will buy box after box and rip the contents in the store. It's really fun to watch, but they've always taken their cards with them afterwards.

    I have experienced this a couple times firsthand and once it was in Chicagoland. Like you, it puzzles me, but I suppose it isn't too far removed from buying lottery tickets, because most of the time with those there's no return on the dollar there either.

    It was nice of the owner to give you a discount on the Cubs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You see it a lot in the card Facebook groups. Someone says they are collecting someone, but that they only want high-end...no, you aren't actually collecting that person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never encountered such a creature. Be careful out there folks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get it. And I'm with you on dark matter (and dark energy). WTF? The universe is far stranger than we evr imagined. Let's hope theCat can help bring the Hawks back. What an awful season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I call them "Mojo Hunters". And I agree, they're not really collectors, especially when they don't have anyone specific that they're after. Quite often they're just interested in stuff they can flip for quick cash. I imagine it's the same guys that show up at shows trying to sell stuff to the dealers for top dollar.

    I've reaped the benefits of base cards now and then. In fact, I think a couple of the dealers that I get most of my inserts from get their stock from case breakers that just keep the hits too.

    I hate it when, like Billy says, someone offers to trade me some of my set needs and says they want cards of certain players. But then they come back and specify that they only want serial numbered or high end hits. So how do you end up with base singles to trade me if all you collect is high end mojozz? I really don't get it.

    I cringe when I see people trashing or burning junk wax. I can't fathom just leaving base and inserts behind.

    ReplyDelete