Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Assimilated By The Borg


The kindness of relative strangers never ceases to amaze me.  One of the things that continuously regenerates my faith in this ever-crazier world of ours is the way we card bloggers constantly look out for each other.  On the other hand, sometimes we "attack" each other too.

Currently on the prowl is Oriole rooter and noted Trekkie, GCA, from The Collective Mind.  The clever moniker for his blog is derived from the Star Trek universe, specifically from the alien cybernetic creatures known as "the Borg."  These alien lifeforms are a vast collection of drones, linked in a hive mind called "the Collective," and appropriate the technology and knowledge of each society it takes over.  While the originals are antagonistic in nature, GCA's version of the Collective Mind is the exact opposite; when it absorbed my want-list, the offensive gave back instead of taking away.
Just look at what the Hive sent my direction:

 


First, a PSA to make sure that you bloggers do your best to keep your posted want-lists up-to-date.  Both of these cards were long sought after needs for my vast Cubs All-Time Roster Collection; a "Cubgrade" for catcher, Vic Roznovsky, and the closest thing to an obtainable card for infielder and later coach, Vern Morgan.  However, within the last few months, they finally made their way into my collection through an LCS purchase and a trade, respectively.  Silly me - I updated my binder and personal checklists, but neglected to change my want-list tab on the blog.  The Collective Mind had no way of knowing that these cards had been obtained - it can only absorb knowledge that I share, after all.

Although, there is a happy end to my error - I do believe that both of these represent conditional updates, so they weren't wasted inclusions by GCA.





Meanwhile, the rest of the Collective's assault was made up of needs that I still needed, including a second 1965 Topps single.  Frank Baumann was yet another "Cubgrade" needed for the CATRC tome, although the only thing that makes this card a "Cubs" pasteboard is the pennant in the design.  The hat-less hurler is depicted in the uniform of our crosstown rivals, with whom he spent the previous five years of his career.  1965 would be Frank's final season in the Bigs, making four appearances out of the bullpen and giving up three earned runs.

Frank's only North Side card might only be slightly "Cub-ified," but it still looks much better in my CATRC than the obvious White Sox card (right) that it replaces.  Clearly, the Hive agrees, as well.






The second "Cubgrade" found in GCA's want-list absorption is also somewhat hard to spot at first.  Jim Tyrone is definitely sporting a Cubs uniform on this 1976 SSPC oddball; that said, the image is far zoomed in and cropped, there's no way of knowing that unless you are already aware that was a member of the Cubs organization then and a few years prior.  The lack of identifying information on the minimalist design only compounds this issue.

Despite these issues, the outfielder's only solo Cubs card is one that I've wanted for many years, as the only other option is shared by three other, non-Chicago players.  Jim shouldn't have to share his space in my binder.  Plus, dig those awesome sideburns!

With that, the Collective Mind's "assault " on my want-list came to an end... although, this was one take over that I wasn't fighting too hard against.  My thanks go out to GCA's iteration of the Borg; I'll be sure to "return fire" as soon as possible!  In the meantime, if The Collective Mind turns his attention to your cardboard desires, I recommend that you immediately submit.

Remember...





No comments:

Post a Comment