Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Graced For a Second Time

First, it was Andy of the (unfortunately, now dormant) Ain't Nobody Got Time for Cardboard; this time, it's P-Town Tom of Waiting 'til Next Year... apparently this is the latest trend to hit the blogosphere.  I, of course, am talking about "Gracing" someone with your presence:




What you see above is my lovely fiancee trying to figure out to do with another large stack of 1989 Fleer Mark Grace singles.  I'm assuming Tom drew inspiration from Andy and, as such, I have now received a second brick of the grayest Mark Grace baseball card ever produced.  What in the heck are we supposed to do with all of these?

This is what happens when you casually mention that Gracie was your favorite baseball player growing up.




Last time that I had this problem, my better half made it rain and then distributed them to our ungrateful pets.  Sure - maybe the cat and the turtle both needed food and water a little bit more than 27 year old cardboard, but not even so much as a "thank you."  Rude.

Anyway, I again assigned the future Mrs. Burbs to come up with a solution for this latest "Gracing", a task she was more than willing to take on.  I think part of her enjoys mangling pieces of the hobby that takes up so much of my free time - time that could instead be spent rubbing her feet or learning to cook a respectable meal or whatever.

Here's what she came up with:



Turns out that I am marrying quite the architect - good to know.  When it comes to purchasing our first house, maybe we should just buy some land and have her build it for us... entirely out of the Fleer "Amazing Graces" that I have a feeling will keep showing up on our doorstep in the interim.



Alright - maybe not.  I am not a big fan of being crushed.

Anyway, P-Town Tom got his laughs in; however, there was much more than just guffaws in this latest trade envelope sent my way.  In fact, it ranks near the top in most generous mailers that I've ever received; hint - it involves top prospect relics, autographs and one of the greatest baseball names in minor league history!  So, stay tuned for the full wrap-up on those goodies, which will be posted tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anybody need a Mark Grace card?  Anyone?





2 comments:

  1. You aren't going to believe this, but when Andy stopped through P-town he left me that stack of '89 Grace cards. No way I was going to let them sit in my collection when I saw how much fun the future Mrs. Burbs had with them the first time around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just going to say it: your fiance is a horrible juggler. She is not invited to my birthday party.

    ReplyDelete