Wednesday, April 15, 2015

I'm Looking Through You

Like all of us, I make a lot of impulse purchases on baseball cards.

Luckily for my wallet, my sanity and my girlfriend with whom I share a bank account, these impulses are usually limited to a single pack of cards from our weekly grocery shopping trip.  I don't think I've ever bought even so much as one box of cards that wasn't from at least ten years ago.

Now, the odds are obviously against you pulling anything super-special in this situation; maybe a parallel or a short-print here or there, but usually just base cards.  That's fine with me, as I'm not collecting for hits, after all.

But, every now and then, something like this falls out:



An acetate parallel of the Oscar Taveras, the blossoming star who was taken from this world far too soon.  I buy a pack of Update hoping for the regular ol' base card of the Cubs backup catcher or extra outfielder (John Baker, Ryan Kalish) and I end up with this instead.

Ok - I can't really be mad about that.  

Like all of the acetates, this beauty is numbered out of 10.  Also, I have to say that after everything that happened this offseason, the picture that Topps selected here seems all too fitting; almost prescient, in fact.

Here's a somewhat clearer view of the pic:



I may be a Cubs fan, but I'm not heartless.  Like with the losses of Darryl Kile and Josh Hancock, I was very much taken aback and saddened when I read the news.  He should have had the opportunity to inflict great damage on the Cubs, like all Cards seem to do.

But, this card doesn't really belong in my collection and I feel like it should go to someone who can truly appreciate it.  Is anyone interested in working up a trade?

In the meantime, I'll just be here, rocking out to my favorite tune off of Rubber Soul:




2 comments:

  1. You really broke the odds with that one. The acetates /10 and the silver frames /20 are the only parallels I really like out of Topps. Both are unique in the sense that they just didn't change the color of the card. Congrats. Hope you find a good home for it. Should net you a pretty good return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pull! I hope to own one of those acetates one day, and, like Matt said, I'm sure that one will net you quite a haul in return.

    ReplyDelete